04 January 2011

The Shoe Tree

Share
Another landmark in Nevada that I photographed in my travels has fallen victim to the ravages of the wilderness. Police in Fallon reported Tuesday afternoon that the shoe tree was cut down by vandals. I once stopped by this tree on one of my trips as is shown in the picture below.



I suppose that is the way of things. The tree lives on in the memories of those who saw it and in the photographs of those who traveled there on purpose to see it. The shoe tree was just east of Middlegate, NV, on a state route that runs roughly parallel to US50, the loneliest road in America.

Of all the tributes, I think the following is the best. Please let me know if the link dies, and I will replace the picture with a more permanent one.



The picture at the top is my own work and exclusive copyright. The bottom picture belongs to someone else. Both are protected by law.

No comments: