06 January 2011

Day 4: Cravings

Share
The word craving is a tricky devil. Aside from food, I actually found myself upon reflection yearning for something in stead of craving it. I miss a simpler time, a time before cell phones, internet, instant messaging, a time when we had time for life instead of squeezing things in. The security guard asked me yesterday if I took any time off during December. I did not. I have places I desire to go and things I desire to do, but I either lack money or prefer to go when the weather is more pleasant. Unlike other people I know, I don't feel the constant need to take time off from work, because I actually like my job.

As far as food goes, it's actually a matter of mood and time of day. Ask me right after I run, and I crave water. It tastes really good after 10K. Ask me about a special dinner, and I'll tell you I crave my mom's chicken paprika. It's probably really bad for me, but it has a feeling to it that reminds me of home and hearth. Ask me when I'm sad, and I'll tell you that I crave chocolate. Face it, it contains chemicals that bind my brain's reward and pleasure centers, so I feel better while I eat it until I realize I have to run more to burn it off. Ask me in summer, and I will tell you that I really miss my grandfather's raspberry canes. We used to gorge ourselves on hundreds of delicious berries on every visit and pick every one we thought was even remotely palatable.

If it were simply a matter to ask and receive, I would crave Buddy's salmon. That's probably the best food I've ever had. I don't know his secret recipe nor do I have the money to eat salmon all the time, but that was probably the best meal I ever ate, and I didn't even have that telltale fishy aftertaste.

That probably tells you a lot more about me than I thought this post would.

No comments: