18 January 2011

Day 10: A Favorite Food

Share
About two years ago, after they did a health test battery for the military, I received the following comments. They told me that my LDL was too low, that my total fat was too low, and that my billirubin count was too low. None of these are linked to any kind of disease, probably because they are very uncommon. An elderly doctor who is no longer at the MEPS after that visit (I assume he retired) told me I should eat more fat, more unsaturated fats.

I looked for something I could eat that would provide these fats. In the process, I discovered young coconuts.

In a young coconut, after you drain and drink the milk, there is a gelatinous layer on the inside. Scrape it off with a spoon, like you serve up jello from a dish, and you have this smooth and milky substance. I really, really enjoy it. Fortunately for me, there is a store near where I work that has at least 6-8 of these in stock every time I visit, and I try to eat half of one every other day to get some of the fats necessary for higher metabolic processes like rebuilding protective sheaths.

For years, I have loved coconut, but I actually really look foward to coconut days. Yes, call me crazy.

Young Coconut

No comments: