18 January 2011

Day 9: A Favorite Movie

Share
I hate to admit this is harder than I thought it would be. The nice thing is that it says "a favorite" and not "the absolute favorite", so you get treated to something other than the normal, I hope.

One of my favorite movies is actually "A Man for All Seasons". Partly, I like this movie because Sir Thomas More is one of those who would be on my personal Mount Rushmore. Secondly, I like the movie because it's among the most accurate depictions possible of historical events, especially powerful given the fact that it took place over 400 years ago. Over the last year or so, I have read many of More's works, and as I have done so, or read Roper's account of the life of More, I found where the elements were for the dialogue and was pleased to find that More really did say many of the things that issue from his character's lips in the film.

More is one of my heroes. I do not know what I would have done in his position, but I draw upon his strength and wisdom as I make decisions in my own life. More stood up to his best friend and sovereign, King Henry VIII of England. More stood on principle. More died as a martyr.

More was also a man. As I read his works and letters and the biographies of his life, I got to see him angry, frustrated, fighting with his wife, and tired. He was also Resolute, which is something I very much respect. Unlike More, I am a stranger to the cunning ways of lawyers and the artifice of law, and so I am fairly certain that were our roles reversed I would have fared less well than he, but his faith and trust in Christ continue to inspire and direct me.

This morning, I received an email from my best friend in which he said that he can see much of More in my behavior and thought. More's writings and life have transformed my own, including my verbiage since I read some of his works in the original, which means they were Middle English, and I learned to appreciate my own struggles, trials, strengths, and talents more as a consequence of getting to know this man.

Perhaps many who read this have never seen this movie. It's not very exciting, there's neither profanity nor nudity, and much of the movie, although drama, is not that to which the rising generation has become accustomed thanks to Law and Order and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. However, I believe it to be one of the most fundamental movies of our time, as powerful in its pagentry as much as in its historical fidelity to a man who showed us what it really means to be a man and more especially to be a man of God.

No comments: