18 January 2011

Personal Mount Rushmore

Share
I forget exactly how many months ago it was that my friend and I began discussing this, but each of us has an opportunity to fashion in our minds our own personal Mount Rushmore. On it, you would etch the faces of the four people who mean the most to you in your life, influenced you the most, etc. There is only one rule- you cannot be a direct blood relative of any of them, to avoid hurting a sibling or parent because you included one without the other and to avoid everyone just saying their family constitutes their heroes.

My friend pointed out that some people answer this question very quickly. He is usually skeptical of that, because, he wagers as do I, they have never heard of this concept before and hastily give a trite answer. Ask yourself who would be on your personal Mount Rushmore. I will share with you the people on mine.

On the 7th of this month, I wrote this in my journal:
My choices are Thomas More, Thomas Edison, Thomas Jefferson, and Thomas Truelove. More for faith, Edison for fortitude after failure, Jefferson for frailty and freedom and Truelove for friendship. Each was an example of those traits enumerated, and I consider those among the most useful and important lessons imparted to me by my particular mortal probation. I have had about a year on which to consider this, and for today, those are the men I would etch into my mind’s eye as worthy of veneration. Which would you choose? It is a fascinating insight into the mind of a man.

No comments: