14 January 2011

Day 8: A Favorite Song

Share
Even if you don't know much about the minutea of my life, you may know that this song has been on my playlist for many years. About five years ago, a lot of things in my life started to go wrong quickly, and one day, I heard it on the radio, changed the station, and heard the song again.
Tubthumper by Chumbawamba



Why do I like this song?

Lyrics do matter. There are a lot of songs that people like that have awful lyrics, not because they're vulgar or inappropriate in other ways, but because they are psychologically misleading. About a week ago, my sister was listening to a song that could have been so much better if the energy of the music and the lyrics had been written, not to opine, but to uplift. It was mournful instead of hopeful, but I let her enjoy what she likes.

"We'll be singing when we're winning."
Normally I don't like the present perfect tense of verbs (-ing) because they are process words, but this one works with positive energy. It implies that the thing that will echo is that we are winning, in perpetuity, and that we'll be singing. Also, they are singing, which implies that they believe they are winning and/or already won.

"I get knocked down, but I get up again."
The final thought in English is psychologically the part you want to echo. This line echoes something positive and is akin to the poem In Victus. I get up again. That's how you win.

"He sings the songs that remind him of the good times. He sings the songs that remind him of the better times."
We are prone, it seems, to think more on what is not than on what is. We have good times, we have good memories, and we have better ones. Focus on those.

I like the energy of this song. I've actually never seen the video, so I dont' know if the content is suitable, but this is a song that continues to remind me of what to remind myself. Naturally, it's not my favorite of favorites, but it teaches you something new about me, which is I think the point of this 30 Day series.

No comments: