01 October 2013

Each of Us is the Prodigal

Share
For many years now, when I have private conversations with people, I remind them that I need the atonement of Christ just as much as they do. Many other people I know however mistakenly believe that they are more akin to the faithful son in the story of the Prodigal without recognizing that there were errors in him. You see, the Parable of the Prodigal reminds us of the fact that at least at some point we are the beggar who relies on the mercy of the Father after we see our ways. It also shows us how to regard those in our lives who hurt us and then turn and attempt to make amends.

The prodigal is known for his many errors. He was impatient, impetuous and intemperate. He wasted his substance in riotous living, including I am sure all kinds of lasciviousness. Perhaps his motto was, as many around us practice, "you only live once, so live it up!" rather than "you only live once, so live well". Whatever his attitude or actions, eventually he found himself bereft of everything of value and thought of the last place he was where he felt safe and where he felt love. Accordingly, he returned to his "home", the place where he thought he might be able to appeal to those who really loved him for some sustenance. He was willing to do anything to make restitution, including accepting his fate like an adult and owning that he had attained to nothing greater than slopping with swine.

Contrary to his expectations and to our own instruction, his father reacted much differently. His father frankly forgave him. He was so glad that he returned, that it didn't matter. You see, if his son was coming across the field, his son had already accomplished several of the steps of repentance and was willing to make restitution. Magnanimously, his father required no restitution. He could probably tell by looking at his son or listening to him that his son genuinely meant his apology with contrition. The nonverbal cues told him everything he needed to know that the return of his son didn't say, and he knew the heart of his prodigal son.

Our warning lies in avoiding the reaction of the "faithful" son. He was envious of the treatment given to his prodigal brother. He "deserved" what his father gave the "wicked" son. Well, I am very careful talking about what I deserve, because we are also taught that God does not tolerate sin with the least degree of allowance. As soon as you leave the father, you deserve whatever ill befalls you, but you don't have to physically leave in order to be distant. The "faithful" son was already at odds with his father, because he did not understand the atonement, and he was unwilling or unable to allow it to operate in the life of his brother.

Like me, there are likely many people in your life who have hurt you. Some of them know no better, and some of them hurt you accidentally as a side effect of their choice. Very few mean to hurt you. Even in that case, the parable stands to us- WHEN THEY RETURN, FRANKLY FORGIVE THEM. The Lord will forgive whom He finds it prescient to pardon, but of us it is required to forgive all men. You see, forgiveness is not about them as much as it's about us. Resentment is negative and poisons the soul. Forgiveness frees us, and moreover unlike the "faithful" son, it qualifies us to go in and sup with the prodigal and enjoy the feast of his return! The "faithful" son was so resentful that rather than join the jubilation he complained to his father and missed out on the joyful reunion.

I remember every person, many of them by name, who has ever been a significant part in my life. Some of them were pretenders, others were portenders, and some left due to circumstances beyond their control or at least that they felt powerless to control. They are welcome to return any time they like. They meant something to me, just like that prodigal son, and I would rejoice to share in the bounty of my harvest to have people back in my life who mean something to me and to whom I meant something. Like the father, I let them go find out what they really wanted, and like my Father for me, I am eager and anxious to welcome them back. I really have learned to love, and I hope only the best, no matter how much pain they caused and no matter how much it hurt when they left. I can understand how that prodigal's father felt, because I have felt the love from my Father God when I turn to Him, and I am eager to share that with those I love.

I don't know what you ought to do in your life. Most of the time, I struggle to ascertain how to act in my own. I commend you to God for guidance who giveth to men freely and upbraideth not. In this time of my own struggles, I have felt His patience and mercy and love when I petition Him about the same things. Patiently and lovingly He reminds me of what we have already discussed, points me to the data I actually have, and comforts me that if I do my duty, it will be with me as if everything had worked out to my benefit. He knows better than I do what you need. Turn to Him and, recognizing that you are the prodigal, appeal to the Atonement to have your life, your opportunities, your hopes, and your privileges restored. He is eager to bless you just like that father in the parable. The calf has already been slain. He hung on Golgotha. Only those who come back can enjoy the feast.

Come back any time. He leaves the light on for you and promises, as I do, to frankly forgive.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I can't even begin to express how much I love this post. It hit home to me on so many levels. One thing I loved is something you said at the beginning -- "you only have one life, so live WELL." What a great lesson!

As for the prodigal son and his brother -- again, great insights. This was a real day-brightener for me today. Thanks, Doug!