07 December 2012

Arrogant to 'The Law'

Share
Years ago I applied for a job with the Nevada Highway Patrol. The interviewing officer seemed surprised at my answer to why I was an ideal candidate. Normally people talk about their degree in criminal justice or how much they rode along or something of that sort. I told him that I had striven all my life to obey, honor, and sustain the law, and when he asked me to justify why that qualified me, I asked him, “Don’t you want people who follow the law to be the ones who enforce it?” This betrayed my naiveté, and I have since learned that the laws are protections not against others but from ourselves.

On the way to work each morning and in almost every instance where I drive, I see all sorts of violations of the social contract. I pass very few people. In the last week, I have been in two near collisions because the car in front of me suddenly slowed when he saw a policeman. Frequently, cars would pass me and then try to squeeze over in front of me or other people, risking causing collisions. They are too important. They cannot wait. It is very selfish.

I believe this arrogance when it comes to the law is one reason why so many things are wrong in our world. Yesterday, Mark Levin described liberalism as the philosophy of hypocrisy, because we have Tim “Tax Cheat” Geithner and Al “Not So” Sharpton advocating that the rich need to pay more taxes when it is well known that both of those individuals are in violation of tax laws. So many people want government to give them things they have not earned. I think Romney was wrong about the 47% comment. I think he was wrong about the number, and it may be much higher. I have read stories that it costs $168/day per family on welfare, which means that some families on welfare take home more pay than I do because welfare benefits are not taxed. I read another analysis that you can do better on welfare after taxes than being productive. How does that make sense? The law says that you reap what you sow, but some people insist on reaping what I sow.

So many people, particularly in the public sector, are jealous for themselves rather than for society. They may talk of shared sacrifice and collective salvation and skin in the game, but if you look at them, they talk one way and live another. Back during Nevada’s budget crisis, I wrote the governor and told him to trim the fat and lay off people in education, knowing I could lose my job. I have taken since coming to work in my employ an effective 20% cut in pay (it’s officially only 5%, but with increases to our retirement, health care, etc., it rises quickly higher than that). Contrast that with Hostess where some employees refused to take any paycut, resulting in a 100% cut in pay for everyone at the company. You see, unlike some teachers and firemen and police officers, I realize that whereas society can survive without me, I cannot have a job without them. I remind my students every semester that I am there because they are there; without students there is no need for professors.

Our world today is marked by so much selfishness. Some of the voices who cry the loudest for compassion are the most selfish among us. You see, the truly charitable are charitable where nobody can see them or when they think nobody is watching. Sometimes we notice, but often they escape our gaze. It has always been the hypocrites who do things to be seen of men, called out by Jesus because they will disfigure their faces and rend their robes and appear unto men to fast. I remind you of the story of John Weightman who had a dream in which he was surprised to discover that, despite his many charitable deeds in life, because he had taken credit for them his mansion in heaven was rather small. They do so to be puffed up in their chests and to gain favor with men, but as they ignore The Law, they have their reward already, and there is nothing in the fall of mortality for them to harvest.

The law of the harvest says that men reap what they sow. You cannot live poorly and receive good gifts. Santa is not fooled. God is not fooled. You may fool men, but we are the only system in the universe of which I am aware that is allowed to temporarily do useless work. Eventually the scales must be balanced and each must pay for what he has decided to become. I have written often about the difference between doing and being, and Christ taught us that, particularly in this season of ‘gifts’, a man who giveth a gift because he must is treated as if he gave nothing at all. Be giving and forget the gift, forget yourself, and he who loseth his life shall find it. That is what The Law taught us. Wise men follow The Law.

The Godless among us do not like that there is any power higher than their own will. I am surprised they are willing to bow to science, because that acknowledges that there are scientific laws that govern the universe. They want what they want to be what is, and so they publish as “facts” things that substantiate their preconceived notions. Then they do all they can to make people dependent on and looking towards government and the people who serve there, a lot like a woman I once knew in Austria. This they do because it’s about them, not about you. It’s about their egos. Obama doesn't like religion mayhap because in his mind as ‘messiah’ god and government have become one. "I'm Barack Almighty. My will be done!" In my experience, most of the people who reject faith or change congregations do so because they place their will over God's. They openly defy God by ordering Him around the universe and then take offense when He does not obey their commandments. They desire to command God rather than be commanded by Him, and they mostly hurt themselves. They are arrogant to The Law, and I fear for them when the day of judgment comes.

It has been written that he who obeys the laws of God need not fear the laws of man. Those who defy the laws of man are probably not submissive to the laws of God, for God has asked us to honor, obey and sustain the law when it is just and brave and true. For that reason, whenever I hear talk as I did last eve of insurrection and rebellion and secession, I advise them to rethink their passions. I understand their feelings, but they are ignorant of the extent that precipitated the movement of 1776, and we are nowhere near that level of abuse of the laws of Nature and Nature’s God. In the end, they will hurt themselves. Christ came to save the penitent, but if you have no need of a Savior, why would you turn to Him? You cannot save yourself, justify yourself, or cleanse yourself. In the end, the law requires that every man reap what he sows, and only those who partner with Christ have hope for a happy ending.

1 comment:

Yulia Shmatkova said...

I usually agree on majority of your thoughts, but not completely regarding the people on welfare. I don’t think they are a big problem of the society; government spends so much more money on useless stuff. Welfare at least helps to keep people out of hunger, streets, and crimes. There would be much more crime without welfare. In Russia you may risk to be killed for a pair of your earrings or a fur hat in winter; homeless children are everywhere begging for money.
Here only those who got a chance to get into Section 8 program benefit the most, other benefits are typically small and temporary. You wouldn’t want to live like those people. And I prefer to have my financial freedom and freedom to buy a house, or travel, or buy whatever I decide for my children, or send them to a normal school because I can live in a good neighborhood.
I only feel sorry for those people on welfare, they are not free, and as you say God gives in accordance to contribution, so God will judge them and us.