12 August 2013

Letting Go

Share
I've had to let go of a lot of things, usually because to continue to hold them would do me harm. It's not always easy, but I have never regretted letting them go. Plus, you know they say that if you let something go and it comes back, then you know it's yours. This technique works also with things that I take to God in prayer. When I pray, I lay everything out for Him, and then I ask Him to give me back only the portions that are mine to handle. He'll be up all night anyway. Finally, I love nothing so selfishly that I will not let it go for its own good.

Far too often in my mind we assume that we know what's best. I testify to you that I am sometimes thankful to God that I didn't get what I wanted because I realized later that it was not going to be or do what I hoped. However, those times, as is also true this morning, I know that I do not possess all the facts. Sure, I make decisions based on the set of facts I have, and in that case the choice may be the best given the data at hand. No matter how good the information may be that I possess, sometimes there are things I cannot see. After I realize that, I feel blessed that some things in life are not up to me.

Even with this attitude of submissiveness to God's will, sometimes sadness remains. I am sad sometimes to have to have a courageous conversation with a friend or move to another place or honor the request of someone for whom I care who requests that I no longer contact them. I actually do love them, and so I let them go. Maybe one of these days, they will return. If not, then I guess they were never really going to be part of my life.

People and things come into our lives sometimes just for a season. Sometimes that season is shorter than we'd like. I do not know why these things must be that way, but I know that God loves me and that He loves them, and I testify that He would not allow those things to be if they were not somehow calculated to our best eternal good. If there is something for me to do, I know God will tell me. For now, I am letting go and holding my peace and trusting in God's grace, His wisdom, and His timing.

While still a teenager, I heard the following song for the very first time. It helps cushion the pain sometimes when I am forced to let go of something before I am ready. Out of love, for myself, for other people, and for my God, I let it go, knowing that, although I once had a chance to sue someone and become a millionaire, it has been better for me to simply let it go. May you find strength to let go of bad things that hold you back and good things to see if they come back. I hope and pray that you will find peace and truth as you exercise submissiveness to the Lord.

1 comment:

Jan said...

This is, as always, beautifully and clearly written. Your humility touches me and I agree with all of the comments. Love it.