11 March 2010

An Ordinary Man

Share
Many people that I know hold me in high regard. Perhaps that is well that they do so. I invite you to consider that I am an ordinary man, prone to the same human frailties as everyone else, and just because I have not yet made certain mistakes does not necessarily follow that I never will. Like you, I need the Atonement of Christ in my life to compensate for the things that I do, and this need exists without regard for the severity of what I may or may not have done. Please let me know if I have offended you, and I will do all in my power to set things right.

Since my ascension to adulthood, as I mingled with all kinds of society, I fell into any of several foolish errors and displayed both the weakness of youth and the foibles of human nature. I am sorry to say this led me down roads I would have otherwise avoided, and, although I was naive, these choices may have been offensive in the sight of God or of other men. Despite this confession, no one need suppose me guilty of any great or malignant sins as it has never been my disposition to purposely hurt anyone or hurt my relationship with my Maker, but I was guilty of levity, marked by obstinacy and sometimes associated with individuals whose behavior and beliefs are inconsistent with that character which ought to be maintained by one such as myself.

I proudly call people friend who come from many variegated walks of life. When it comes to my associations with them, I follow the admonition of Abraham Lincoln:
"I will stand with anyone when he stands right, and I will part from him when he goes wrong." God has brought me along a path that exposed me to many fine people with whom I would have never chosen to associate, not because of who they are as much as where I found them. As part of my own refinement process, God took me among these people so that I could learn about them and from them and that by my associations with them I could learn more about myself. For this special tutelage, I consider myself richly blessed.

For the better part of my life, I have striven to live as best as I can. My best friend will tell you that he doesn't know anyone who is always on his best behavior. Where other people may be capable of and act from time to time in better ways than I do, I sustain as long as possible the very best stance I can. However, I am an ordinary man and you must not expect perfection from me. If you expect perfection from me, then I shall expect it from you, but if you will bear with my imperfections then I promise to bear with yours. I sincerely hope that as I grow older and gain wisdom, experience and stature, that I will increase in favor with God and man.

Until then, I ask your forgiveness, and where I have wronged you, I promise to do what I can to make things right.

No comments: