13 March 2010

Texas Declares Jefferson an Enemy of the Constitution

Share
I am a Jeffersonian. In the past two years, I have visited his home, payed tribute at his grave, photographed his monument, viewed the documents he wrote, and read his complete works. Imagine my surprise to hear how today the State of Texas cut his name from a list of influential revolutionaries on the auspices of one comment he once made of which much ado has been made and in a way he never meant.

I suppose this means the Declaration of Independence is even more sacred than ever before now that Texas has declared it authorless.

As a Jeffersonian, I know Texas is wrong about this. I have read Jefferson's complete works, and I know for what he stood. The clause on which they base this ruling was first used in that fashion in the 1940s by a former Klan Kleagle who hated the Catholic church. Jefferson may have been a Deist, but if he had meant it that way, he would have never referenced the Creator in the Declaration.

That document and the men who wrote it and inscribed their names thereon deserve appropriate reverence for their vicarious sacrifice on our behalf.

I will write Ms. Dunbar myself. I hope she is doing the best she can with what she has, so I will give her more. This is the problem when people legislate not according to law but according to ideology, and it is why self-proclaimed "conservatives" can be just as dangerous if they cannot govern themselves.

No comments: