28 March 2010

Core Values

Share
This is an unfinished concept on which I have worked for about a year now. It serves to explain a bit why I choose the associations I choose and why I go and do what I go and do. Since it came up in conversation with my aunt today, I thought I'd share it for her benefit and by way of exposition.

Photobucket

When I look at people, I see certain behaviors as evidences of certain core values that go beyond the surface appearance. I know that some people pretend and purport to certain behaviors and character traits, but over time, we show what we really are by what we do. Sometimes people just do certain things, but patterns of behavior evince a design of values beneath the surface, and that is how I make my selections of companionship and comraderie.

The core values in this particular diagram are among those that matter the most to me. Note the glaring absence of Worldly Vanities. The selection of Good Friends matters so much in shaping the outcome of your destiny. You can make so much more Proper Use of Time if you surround yourself with people who believe in and live by the Beliefs, Values and Norms that matter to you.

Most people, especially young people, have done little to establish what Beliefs, Values and Norms will guide their lives. Although many of them inherit a basic rubric from their parents, as part of their Teenage Rebellion, they generally cast all of that aside without replacing it. In the absence of a system of values, whatever comes along perchance usually fills the void. It takes a lot of effort to define yourself, but once you do, you save a lot of heartache and headache because you can easily identify those who value you and value the things you value.

People I know intimately often recognize they spend most of their time with negative friends. It's so much more pleasant and effective to learn from positive friends. I made this rubric. I make no claims that it is perfect, but it gives me direction. Now that I have a course to chart, I know I'll come closer to my goals than if I pick an arbitrary star and follow straight on until mourning.

No comments: