07 March 2010

Income Tax Burden

Share
I knew I owed taxes this year, so it wasn't exciting for me to get online and Turbotax my way to a refund like it might be for some of you. When I teach, they withhold $50/month from those checks, so it meant I took home $8000 last year without any income tax withholding, so I knew this would come. Some of the other numbers surprised me.

Since I don't give enough to anyone to itemize, I just get the standard deduction. My raises and teaching last year pushed me into the 25% tax bracket as well, so, I took it in the pants when it came to taxes. The Federal government got to keep nearly $6000 of my pay this year just in federal income tax alone. Ouch.

I support the Boortz Amendment. I think that Federal Income Tax withholding is against the founding principles of the constitution. That someone managed to get it written in as an amendment is a shame; there is precedent to remove and fix these changes, and it's time we did that. If you really want to shift the burden of tax to the ability to pay, this is the way. I am hardly "rich".

Under the Boortz Amendment, you pay tax when you buy something and only then. No withholding, no April 15th, no IRS audits. If you don't want to buy, you don't pay taxes. If you don't buy a Lexus, you pay fewer taxes than someone who does.

I am not really complaining. I understand that the government needs our money for its legitimate functions. What I disagree with is what they claim to be necessary functions and how they use the money they receive.

That's why I threw tea in the harbor, and it's why I now throw caution to the wind.

No comments: