21 March 2010

Health Coverage Passes...Joy...Rapture

Share
We now have health coverage. I did before this "historic" vote. I also had health insurance. I am not so sure I will now. All is not lost, for just like in Tolkkien's novels, something always happens that the Lord of the Rings does not intend. This is how I know.

When people have won something in which they are confident, they take a victory lap. I remember watching the olympic women skate relay where the Koreans took this jubilant victory lap with their flag and everything just before they were disqualified. The Democrats are not out having parties. They took to the microphones and the talk shows and everywhere they could to persuade us that they had done the right thing. When you know you have won, you don't spend time convincing others; you won't hear them say "everyone knows" because that's a rhetorical tool to dispirit.

I am, suffice it to say, disappointed. The Constitution isn't by a thread yet per se, but if the Courts do not put the Congress and the President in their place, I don't really see much hope barring a change in November 2010 for the Constitution to endure. I also wouldn't be surprised if the President just cancels elections, declares himself Ceasar, and abolishes the Senate. They gave him their power today anyway. For what then do they still exist?

Am I surprised? No. Titus had better be ready for a strong challenge to "her" seat. Voters didn't want this, but our Congress doesn't care.

I don't buy this.

Thoreau wrote that in a world ruled by injustice, the only place for a just man is in prison. Amen.

2 comments:

Bri said...

One of my co-workers paid me a short visit Monday morning, just to express his smug smile and a peace-sign that the bill passed, then left.

What annoys me, is he had nothing to back up his opinion a few days ago when I asked him what he thinks this will do to our economy, how this will REALLY affect us as middle class citizens, or even WHY he was for it, other than "it'll give everyone free healthcare."

There is no such thing as a 'free lunch.' Someone is going to pay for it, and it sure as heck isnt just going to be the rich. We all are. If you have a job, you will be paying for it. Unless you are close to the poverty level, don't expect this to really help you.

I'm not looking forward to the next few years under this bill. I fear my children will be paying for this generation's debt, and miss out on the experience of what it's like to be able to get medical help in under 3 months of making an appointment.

Talk to your associates living in countries with this socialized healthcare. That is reality to them.

Doug Funny said...

The way liberals see you, you will always have too much freedom and always have too much money until you have none at all of either. -me 11 Mar 10

The President is out at what ABC radio news just referred to as a "pep rally".

You are right. Someone always pays. A friend of mine posted this article the other day which you should consider as he talks about the cancer patient that was briefly under his care: http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2010/03/futile-care-human-financial-costs.html#more-43044

He asks a good question. What are we really doing this for? It's not for the children and the decrepit, it's so we can pat ourselves on the back and say how great we are because we used other people's money to do something we were too cheap to do ourselves and for the wrong reasons.