24 March 2010

My Beef With Conservative Leadership

Share
This will probably surprise some people and gratify others, but I have a great beef with the major figureheads of the Conservative Republican movement. I have listened to them speak, and whereas I agree with much of what they say, I realized last night that I disagree with what they actually do by and large. Like the Liberals, who encourage participation with bribes, the Conservatives depend on other people to do the work for them, encouraged by sometimes fear, sometimes ideology, and sometimes issues of morality. What we do defines us, and most of them just talk.

Let me start my analysis with the admission that I like Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin. There are a few other lessor figures whose thoughts make me think in ways I enjoy. Then there is Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, even Sean Hannity, to whom I can listen with scant little ease than President Obama himself. I admire what they do. Everyone knows what they say, and they take a lot of flak. However, they have set themselves up as pointmen for the cause of freedom. Pickets never won wars. They just stop the army from losing them.

I am a bit confused by this: if these men are so in tune with the Founders, why do they refrain from office? For years, I have heard callers betimes speak of Hannity for President etc., and they always dismiss the offer with "if nominated I will not run; if elected I will not serve." What kind of an attitude is that for someone who ostensibly cares about this country?

Most of these figures are wealthy, far beyond the $250,000/year that the President has established as "rich". The Liberal god is government; the Conservative god is gold. For the Left, rights come from government; for the Right, rights come from wealth and opportunity. In the middle, the rest of America worships that Creator from whom our rights actually come. These men, well intended their efforts may be, want to hold onto their money. To become a senator or president would constitute a HUGE paycut for them and a decline in their relative influence over the people. Despite what I thought, I no longer think Talk Radio is as righteous as they would have us believe. There are elitists on both sides apparently, people unwilling to step down from their thrones. If Rush really cared as much as he claims he does, he'd act more like Carter Braxton than John Dickenson.

I do these things for a different reason than anybody else. I do them, not because Rush leads me or because I can get rich or because I want special land deals or health care in perpetuity or simply because I like to tell people what to do. I do what I do because it's the right thing to do, to glorify God and serve Him.

Regularly callers ask these men how bad they think the plight of America has become. Rush and those like him tell the callers that they will know. At the same time, I hear them talk all the time about "where they will go" when things come to a head. They intend, when the times get hard, to flee. This betrays their villainy, clothed with odd old ends stolen forth from Founder writ under guise of which they seem a saint when they care just as little for us as individuals as the leftists they ostensibly oppose.

As for myself, I will go to the green with my rifle in hand. If it is God's will, I will also die there, for I would rather die than live in a world without that America in which I believe.

I signed the Minutemen oath. I meant it. Maybe it's easier for me because my net worth is less than $75,000. I guess that also means I have more in common with the major portion of Washington's men- farmers, merchants, coopers and craftsmen- who chose to do what was right instead of what was easy, to whom the pledge to lay down their lives, their fortunes and their sacred honor was more than just an empty recitation. They were inspired by a better cause than money or power, and they bought this nation with their blood.

Thank God for them.

No comments: