30 November 2010

Never Too Busy to Help

Share
About a month ago, this guy Troy I know told me about a project he started to help other people. Although I arrived at different commitments than he did, I decided as a result of his revelatory communique to resolve to never be too busy to help someone who needed me. Over the years, I have been the recipient of much benevolence, and if I don't have an actual prior commitment, then I decided to help when it was legal, moral, and possible.

Last night, just as I got home, the phone rang. A woman I know who is currently out of state was afraid that keys left under her doormat might not still be there Wednesday when she could get to it without my help. I agreed that it was probably best not to trust that someone might not take it, especially after having seen this newspaper report:
Accordingly, much as I really wanted to have hot chocolate and veg out in front of the TV watching "Wild Hogs", I dressed for the weather and hit the road, driving about 20 miles one way to pick up a set of keys. On the way home, I stopped and checked with a guy on the side of the road to see if he needed help. He told me that although he was squared away that I was the first and only person so far to stop.

When I had my first collision in August of this year, nobody stopped to help me. It was ok because the car still drove and my body remains as yet unhurt as a consequence, but it would have been nice if someone had stopped to check on me after I slammed into the median. What if I had been hurt?

It has been said that God watches over us and answers our prayers but that it is often through another person that he meets our needs. I told a friend a few weeks ago that most people just want to know someone is paying attention to them, and so when I was asked, I acted like I believe a Christian would and was the friend they sought in me. Long ago, I decided that I would be available if God needed something, and since I am single, I really have no excuse at times when I have not already given my word to go and do what he needs done.

Who knows but that maybe you will save someone from a choice they will regret? I really like the following video from Liberty Mutual:



You never know what a small gesture will do to change the lives of others. A kind word, a compassionate look, or a helping hand can all change not only the life of the person you influence but also all those with whom he subsequently interacts.

My new policy is to never be too busy to help. Even if I'm headed to do something God asks, there may be other opportunities by the way on my way, and sometimes it's about the journey more than the destination itself.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I love that quote (by Pres. Kimball, I think) about God always answering prayers but much of the time He does it through other people. And sometimes, WE are that person. I hate the idea of someone praying and God trying to send me and I didn't respond. It's a great commitment to make - to help whenever you can. I try to do that too.

Jan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.