11 November 2010

Where's My Flag?

Share
Last Wednesday, I moved, and so naturally I had no idea where some things ended up. It was Friday before I found my drill so I could hang blinds and pictures and adjust the stupid door that doesn't shut right, and I just yesterday found the rest of my silverware so I could eat. This morning, it took me four hours to find the bracket so I could hang my flag outside.

I was the only one I could see in the neighborhood who did so. Then again, I am also the only single male in the neighborhood, and so it might stand to reason that families have other things going on. For me, it was a priority.

When I was 15, my parents contacted my Senator and asked him to fly a flag over the US Capitol in commemoration of my Eagle Scout. I still have that flag. It is actually of really high quality and has withstood many years of service. Granted, I have often opted to hang a cheaper one outside where the elements may attack it, but it meant a lot for me to find this particular flag this morning.

My family has a legacy of service. We have several living combat veterans in the family. The flag is a rally point, a place to look for reassurance and orders, to know where you stand. I am glad I was able to get it put up today before I left to run errands.

Thank God for all those men and women who have been willing to die rather than submit to tyranny.

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God. --Benjamin Franklin

No comments: