08 May 2008

Pointless Random Stuff

Share
I sat in my chair last night putting off work on the books I'm writing and too tired to commit to the books I'm reading. Unfortunately, there was nothing on TV, and instead of sitting there mindlessly watching whatever was on, I folded my laundry and went to bed. When you consider the amount of time we squander in pointless activities, it's surprising so many people consider themselves overworked. Aside from spending money we don't have to buy things we don't want to impress people we don't like, we spend time we can't waste doing things we ought not often in the company of those with whom we ought not.

Someone wiser than I said that the measure of a man is how he spends his time when he doesn't have to do anything. There are so many things we could do, but so often what we ought to do isn't very fun or promising, and so we do other things equally boring and useless but which lack the displeasures that earmark our duties.
In the end, I have some letters to write, some entries in my journal to make, and some books I ought read or write. At least if I start them I can feel I did something worth doing. Sure beats watching other people live their lives. Hurts less too.

No comments: