24 May 2008

I Look Forward to Saying 'Yes'

Share

A few weeks back, I had my first go at being on the other side of an interview table doing the asking. The experience taught me many things, one of which particularly struck me and inspired me at the same time. When we asked one of the candidates if he had any questions, his confidence and hope took me for a loop.

When can I start? The question took me back. So did his confidence. Besides the obvious implication of "hire me, now", comes the question "You’re hiring for a position; if you pick me when would I start?" It's a question I think everyone should ask. It may strike a cord that helps you stand out, and it gives you a bit of knowledge that would be useful. I don't know that I'll ever forget him.

The very last thing he said was, "I look forward to saying Yes". His optimistic and positive affirmation of demeanor was something to which I genuinely aspire. In the end, I think people get what they expect, and since I'm naturally cynical and bitter, perhaps that's why I know nobody who's applied for as many jobs as I have. I was never going to get any because I lacked confidence.

For most of my life, I've known the words to Maria's theme enroute to the Von Trapp home in Rogers and Hammerstein's "The Sound of Music". "Besides which you see, I have confidence in me." How does she do it? I don't know, but I'd sure like to.

Oh great, a new resolution...


No comments: