12 May 2008

Final Disposition of the Dead

Share
Before people get all bent out of shape about my vehement feelings about right and wrong, I wish to turn your minds to something I tell people often. From ideas implanted on my mercurially malleable mind at a young age in CS Lewis’ The Great Divorce, I think many people will be surprised at the final disposition and composition of death and hell.

Many people among my religious affirmation automatically condemn individuals like Adolf Hitler to the damnation that awaits the sons of perdition. They forgive the thieves next to Jesus and spit on Pontius Pilate. I leave judgment to the Lord, knowing that “I the Lord will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men” (Doctrine and Covenants 64:11).

Despite what other Mormons may tell you, plenty of Mormons will not achieve what you believe heaven to be, and very few of the human family will achieve what most people picture as hell. In the end, I believe that, like at a youth dance or fancy diinner party, people gravitate to those portions of the realm where they feel most comfortable. People that come into their circle likewise share the disposition that leaves them satisfied with that type of conversation, the opinions fronted therein, and the character/morality of those adjacent to them in the circle. At judgment, we will go where we are comfortable, and the wicked cannot abide the presence of God.

You cannot say in that day “Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, cast out devils”, etc. You will know and be known as you are known. At that day, I prophecy that many Mormons, and many great men of the earth will end up in places that surprise them and find themselves adjacent to people they might never have considered in their spiritual class. I believe that God will bless men as much as he can and punish them as little as he must. Since the situations that stipulate our responses differ in degree of difficulty, I think many whose plight seems dire to them that cannot look upon the heart will find more mercy than they apparently deserve and that many who waste or bury their talents shall reap the whirlwind of shame and be denied what might be theirs. Where much is given, much is required, and he who sins against the greater light receives the greater condemnation (D&C 82:10). Yes, that includes me.

No comments: