21 May 2008

Dedication

Share
As part of my preparation to join the military, I started a fairly regular and challenging exercise regimen. The last two days have really put to test my committment to that way of life for a variety of reasons.

Temperature/Pressure
Tuesday's high temperature in Vegas set a new record- 108F. At 6AM, it was already 89F, which is the warmest temperature I've ever run in, and by the time I was finished, I was physically finished too. This morning it was only 74F (storm rolling in), but the wind whipped across the valley and made the going a bit tougher than otherwise. The thing about biking though is that I can always downshift and use the gears to overcome the wind.

Arising early
In order to beat the heat and take advantage of the coolest daily temperatures in Las Vegas, I usually try to leave the house by 6AM. I do this after I get up and read the scriptures, trying to put God and my good health first in the day. Most people find it very hard to rise early, but in my previous job, I started work at 4AM, so for me I'm actually sleeping in technically, so by comparison, this for me is easy.

Unless you dedicate yourself to retiring early enough in the evening to gather sufficient sleep, rising early is tough. Nobody else is up (which for me makes the roads safer), it's hard to motivate yourself if you're the type that needs someone else to encourage you to keep to the goal, and the bed seems mighty inviting, especially if like I did last night you sleep funny and your back is sore.

Accompanyment
I invited two people to accompany me to various parts of my exercise regimen. One of them surprised me Monday by actually getting up and coming along. Granted, Tuesday and Wednesday have been wicked weatherwise, but sometimes it's nice to not be alone. Sure, exercise isn't romantic or really a bonding thing, but normally I just recite poems and documents I've memorized to myself as I bide the time. Sometimes it's really nice to have a come-along.

On the other hand, compared to earlier, I rarely miss a day. At first when I worked myself up in intensity, frequency, and duration, sometimes I took days off to rest when I felt particularly exhausted or sore. During two of the toughest days this year, I stuck to the regimen and persevered. Demonstrates my dedication, something that ought not be discounted.

I really hate to brag...no, no I don't. ;)

No comments: