04 April 2008

Upgrading to a New Car? Think Twice

Share
I've been doing research for several months towards buying an additional car. Any of you who know me know I LOVE my 1995 Saturn SL1 (I call him R2-D2), but I want a car that has the capability to tow and haul things and offers some more creature comforts. Due to my parent's experiences, I have a favorite source, but I've noticed some odd pricing conventions on their website that don't make sense, and it made me think about hidden costs (some non-monetary).

When you look at cars there, it almost looks like the packages assigned by automakers mean nothing or the employees identifying trim and upgrade packages know nothing. Given those variations in available gimmicks, I don't understand how a XLT Trailblazer in Valdosta GA costs $1000 less than a LT Trailblazer in Boise ID.

For some time, I hemmed and hawed over which vehicle among the following to choose:
Chevrolet Trailblazer
Jeep Liberty
GMC Colorado

My first concern was standard packages for towing: only the Trailblazer comes with tow package standard. This seems odd to me given that Jeep advertises itself as an off-road vehicle, but surely enough, very few, if any of the Liberties came equiped with 4WD or towing. Hmm...

Second, I looked at comfort. After a few test rides at my favorite source, I decided that the Colorado was no better than my Saturn on comfort, and the Liberty was disappointing considering its relative close size to the Trailblazer.

Thirdly, I looked at fuel economy. While the Liberty beat out the Trailblazer (slightly), I was not convinced to buy the vehicle on fuel economy alone. If you consider maximum towing package and overall cost (Trailblazers are cheaper), the cost of gas was minimized.

Furthermore, Liberties are more expensive to insure. The registration cost on a Liberty is also higher, since their MSRP and residual value after depreciation are higher. Since I don't trade cars in and intend to drive mine verily into the ground, holding resale value matters little to me. You have to decide if that matters to you. You should also consider the cost of tires. In addition to the base cost of buying new tires, specialty tires on upgraded rims may offset any special deal savings in future tire purchases. Wider tires impact fuel economy and special performance tires don't last as long. You're best off sticking with the basics.

The overall cost of buying a liberty or a Colorado didn't outweigh the positive factors. With even a 2003 Trailblazer, I have maximized my savings in depreciation on insurance and registration without sacrificing too much age. My previous vehicle came to me with 80000 miles, and there are plenty of Trailblazers with under 50000 miles, giving me even more of a mileage buffer. Plus, the later model trailblazer engine compartments are not cumbered by the clutter that shrouds most engines as a means to keep them cleaner, and I like the organization better. Since I intend on repairing my own cars where I can, I like that feature. (That was one reason I didn't want a Saturn Vue- too cramped).

Don't get caught up in hype. Liberties and other vehicles are largely status symbols. A former coworker told me about how much more his diesel engine cost him in maintenance, and a current Air Force Colonel told me that it took five years to break even in cost with the fuel economy of his hybrid, and he barely skirted having to pay out of pocket to replace the electronic console to the tune of $5000.

Too many gimmicks means something may go wrong more easily. Part of the reason I love R2-D2 so much is that it's so simple that I don't have a myriad of things that might break which I cannot fix. The one exception was the computer itself, which was shorted out and wouldn't activate the engine cooling fan. A trip to Pick n Pull and $25 fixed that (with a "new" computer), but a brand new one is only $100, so that's not too bad. I prefer not to have a sun roof, power accessories, power steering, etc., because those things make engine maintenance more difficult. The more electrical complexity your car has, the more you may find yourself going to the dealership. I don't know about you, but I prefer NOT to take it to Saturn and pay a minimum of $70 just for them to look at it.

They make cars today to be convenient to drive, but inconvenient to repair. I don't know why this is, but as in other cases, sometimes the older items are built better. I really miss Beta, but I'm also not itching to ditch my VHS or DVD for Blueray. Some people critique me for my frugality, but it's a matter of fiscal responsibility. People with much higher wages than I live near the edge of their income, while I save 14% even after donating 10% to charity.

As for hybrids or flex fuel, I can't get over the engine R2 has. My Saturn is EPA rated to 31mpg, but I routinely get 37-40mpg, including one tank when I scored 44.1mpg. If you consider the fact that I'm running a 1.8L internal combustion engine versus the 1.6L gas engines in hybrids, you expect their smaller displacement to produce better economy. The fact that they get so little more than I do makes me shake my head.

The ugly truth about hybrids is that they save you only at low speeds and they cost so much more upfront. Since most people I see on the commute jackrabbit start, their only rely on the electric engine for a miniscule portion of the trip, riding at cruising speeds equal to or higher than those at which I drive. I suspect that many hybrid owners see lower than the estimated resultant economy, some perhaps lower than R2's. Plus, to get that extra technology (they contain both a regular engine AND the battery option) adds extra weight and additional cost, meaning that most owners have to keep a hybrid far beyond the average time of ownership to gain anything.

Most hybrid owners drive their cars as a status symbol, as if to say, "Hey! Look at me! I'm doing my part to save the world." For my part, so am I, by not buying another car when mine works fine, saving the world the problem of trashing R2 while still reaping comparable mileage to a hybrid. This little R2 unit and I have been through a lot together, and I feel as attached to him as Luke Skywalker was to his.

Do I need a new car? No. Would it help me get a date? If a girl only goes out with me for virtue of the car I drive, I'm not sure I want to deal with how shallow she is.

No comments: