26 April 2008

Qualifying the Qualified

Share
Yesterday for the first time I sat at a table and interviewed candidates for a job. One of the biggest surprises to me came when I found myself choosing against the candidates most qualified for the job and used the phrase on one that he was overqualified. Until now, I always thought overqualification was an excuse not to hire.

We only interviewed people possessed of the basic qualifications to do the job. As such, all of them were capable, but we considered other factors. I decided to ask each one what made them apply for the job and what they saw themselves doing if they came to work with us, and that directed much of my decision making. In the end, I chose a candidate less for her ability to barf up the correct answers and bedazzle us interviewers and more for the fact that I believed she would appreciate the job and be online with the mission of our organization.

Most people use jobs to advance their careers. I myself sought opportunities to expand my resume through activities at work that give me width and breadth.

One other final thought. The last interviewee said something interesting, that when not awarded a job he asks if it was really a good fit. We considered the same thing: how well do the candidates fit our mission and with the job. Some of the candidates were highly qualified, but they were unlikely to find satisfaction or enjoy the job. Since a lot of people depend on what we do, we don't want someone who only views it as a stepping stone to something bigger and better. While we all want to advance our careers, I doubt that many, including that fellow, would appreciate the job and act conscientiously toward it. Not that I expect them to stay there forever, but for many I wonder why they even applied for the job.

Being on the asking end of an interview was a VERY illuminating experience.

No comments: