05 April 2008

Kicking Against the Pricks 2

Share
As a follow-up to my previous posting on the subject, a few weeks ago some jerk told me that I'd never be able to sell this item for what I was asking for it. This very afternoon I sold that item for my original asking price.

It makes me wonder if he said that hoping I'd sell and he could then resell it and make some money without any real work.

Unless you're being completely unreasonable, it's conceivable to sell anything you want for any price. Someone somewhere will buy it.

My mother, bless her heart, always buys things new. The truth is that you can get a "new" item, still wrapped in celophane and unopened, just not straight from a retail center, buy appealing to sources that primarily deal in used items. To that end, I shop Half.com and the used parts of Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble in order to save on certain items. I've bought previously viewed movies from Hollywood Video and Blockbuster too. If I'm planning on reading a book, making notes in it, and breaking the spine as I cite contents, and if it's a book I intend to keep, where's the value in a brand-spanking new book when a used one will do just fine.

Maybe I just feel this way because of my car experiences. Who cares. I save money without any extra headache.

For those who worry about the safety of sellers, you have no higher risk buying something online used than you do buying something new. I've had items lost in the mail several times and sellers act unscrupulously, but just because I walk into a physical location doesn't mean those people aren't going to do the same thing to me. In the end, everything is a matter of honor. I acquit myself, and I withhold business from those who cannot abide the same standard.

As for this guy, I'm glad he was wrong.

No comments: