13 April 2008

OK, BYU is Not That Bad...

Share
I never thought I would ever say that. I've spent my entire life fighting the supposition that since I'm LDS I should attend BYU and taken every opportunity to disparage it. Last night, I finally visited the campus to attend a sketch comedy performance to which my sister and I were honored guests, and I have to say my opinion changed.
Photobucket
First off, the campus is spectacular. The vistas, the snow, the wide-open spaces; I was in heaven. I thought my alma-mater was cool with the brick and mortar look of a bygone era, but everything about BYU appeals visually. I saw immaculate landscaping, regal architecture, and no litter, all of which make one proud to bring guests.

Less evident but of no less impact, the culture of BYU, while droll, does the students a great service. The students are brought together into groups that encourage wholesome interactive activities. Given the lack of diversionary entertainment in town besides hiking the Y and the dollar theater, the on-campus groups and the organizations that support campus activities provide a myriad of options in which students may participate, all orchestrated toward helping them form the kind of close associations I hoped I'd find at college but didn't.

Finally, and most ominously, BYU has the Honor Code. I have no idea what exactly it says, but it basically encourages the types of behaviors, practices and attitudes that build youth into the type of people worth venerating.

Of course, anyone who attends may still elect not to avail themselves of these options, but BYU gives students perhaps the best opportunities to "suck the marrow out of life" and really live.

As for my Alma Mater, don't bother sending me requests for donations as an alumnus. I got my degree, but that was the only thing they ever wanted to give me or offered me. Punks.


To Laurel, Nick, Jeff, Sarahs, Amy, Matt, and everyone else who welcomed us so warmly, I send my very best regards.

Sincerely- Your #1 (chronologically) Las Vegas Groupie

1 comment:

Lindsi Michelle said...

I'm glad we were able to give you such a good impression of BYU. Sorry I wasn't able to talk to you guys more, things get a little crazy during the show (as you might have noticed). However, I thank you for your words of wisdom on my last post. They helped a lot!