25 April 2008

Online Stalkers

Share
In talking to an old friend of mine, I found myself explaining why I don't use my real name online. A few years ago, while competing for a job with Homeland Security, I came across a warning from DHS against excessive openness on websites like Myspace and Facebook. Since I have a few stalkers myself, I wanted to make it difficult for people to easily find out information about me by using pseudonames coupled with real information.

One of the people with whom I communicate online actually had enough of her real information on her instant messenging profile that I was able to mapquest her home. At my suggestion, she first removed sufficient details from her profile to prevent that from happening, then changed her display name to simply her real first name and a fake surname. All she had was a picture of the church she attended and the state in which she lived, and I was able to find out her home address.

Many parents worry, and perhaps rightly so, about the prevelance of sexual predators online. The anonymity of the internet makes people say and do things behind the largely pretend mask even though if pressed internet providers can divulge your identity and activity to the authorities. I started this blog so that things from my own mouth would be online in case someone levied untrue accusations against me, but I have no true desire to enter the body public at this time.

Some people joke about online stalking, but there are people who log on and check out people's information without them knowing. We hear about identity theft, scams on craigslist, the ever-repetitive Nigerian inheritance scam, ad infinitum. Now, we invite thieves, murderers, rapists, etc., into our homes via email and PHP where blinds and dogs used to keep some at bay. Thinking themselves garbed in secrecy, many people who never would steal in public and other things take courage from the obscurity of zeros and ones.

The internet is a good thing. You just have to be discerning about those with whom you choose to associate.

No comments: