19 September 2010

Do You OWN it?

Share
As I stood in the line at the DMV this week, I struck up a conversation with the man in front of me. He saw my car and instead of criticizing me for driving a 15 year old sedan asked me "How long have you owned the car?" I have had the title to my 1995 Saturn since 2003, and it does feel really good to actually own the vehicle.

There are lots of people out there with nicer things than I have. You can see huge boats out on the lake, palatial mansions on the hill, fancy cars in the parking lot at work. On the way to the DMV, a high school girl in a new VW Beetle stared at me as she drove by with a look of condescension. She doesn't own it, but she thinks it makes her better.

Most people own very little. The things they have own them. They make regular and expensive installment payments on RVs, ATVs, and SUVs. Some of them have unsecured debt as well, in the form of clothes, shoes, and brickabrack around their homes. I told a cousin this past week that "Eventually girls realize that the guys who appear to have lots of money already spent it." They own stuff, but it's not really stuff often that's worth owning. They converted their money into things of far less comparable residual worth. All it tells me is that they once had money.

I feel a great sense of freedom owning my car outright. There is nothing like holding the title to something in your hand. It might not look pretty on the outside, but now it drives just like it did in 2003 when I first took possession of it, and I have saved lots of money on regular payments, insurance, and dates on which I did not have to go because I drive this particular car.

Just because someone drives a crappy car doesn't mean they are like Warren Buffett. Not all rich men drive ancient station wagons, but the Rich Men Next Door don't drive Bentleys and Beemers. They drive late model Hondas and Toyotas. A poor-looking guy might be poor. He might also be Sam Walton.

2 comments:

Jan said...

I LOVE the feeling of security it gives me to own the things we do. Far too many people are all about image and there's nothing behind it but debt. Great thoughts.

ablur said...

Buying what you can afford not what you hope to afford is an excellent character trait. Live the truth in all areas of life. Your joy will definitely be richer.