06 September 2010

Car Repair

Share
For the last two weeks, I've been working to swap an engine/transmission from the 1995 Saturn SL1 in which I was in an accident to the 1995 Saturn SL1 I have driven since 2003. I have learned a lot about cars. I have learned alot about myself. I have been dirty and tired every night. I have also almost always had something to do.

Not that I look forward to working on my car almost every night per se, but I feel accomplished. This weekend, we managed to complete the arduous extrication of all the contaminated parts from Recipient car and the parts we want to use from Donor car. There have been some headaches. Fortunately, my dad has all the tools we needed or was at least able to fabricate something that worked. I will confess that he had some ingenious ideas I wasn't sure would work. My dad is a miracle worker.

The car will be redeemed in blood. I have cut myself three times and burned myself once. My father has cut himself more than that. There has been surprisingly little profanity, but we bled all the liquids from the vehicles, so even they lost everything. I did however learn that transmission fluid acts as a great solvent for grease.

I admit I'm excited. When the car is painted and all the pieces swapped I intend to keep, it will look pretty good. You know, I have a great deal of attachment to this car. He and I have been through a lot together. The only major part that ever failed was the part we always expected would, but far later than people thought. He should run for a great many years to come, and if I had possessed the talent and time and energy necessary, I probably could have done this in a few days. Fortunately, I have a few friends and a talented father who helped make this possible. So, it's been an adventure, and I have enjoyed the journey.

1 comment:

Bri said...

Hmm, good tip on the transmission fluid. I'll have to keep that in mind