11 September 2010

Dawn Quarter Marathon

Share
People who know me know that I try to run a 10K three times per week. The light has dimmed enough that light levels necessitate that I wear all white or bright colors and my reflective material on my wrists to make sure that I am visible in the pre-dawn light. Although it's a quiet neighborhood void of through traffic with plenty of yield and stop signs, lots of drivers pass through the neighborhood at high rates of speed and without yielding properly.

Since my accident nearly a month ago, I have been much more circumspect at corners. When I come to a yield sign, I slow much more than the people behind me like, and I pay attention to whether or not I actually stop at those corners that require that. I'm not in as big of a hurry, but then again, nobody should be late to his own funeral.

When I started this exercise program a year ago, my father advised me to learn to go the distance. I have been at it long enough that I run a 10K in about 46-48 minutes on average. It's not a tough course per se, but in our neighborhood, enough people have seen me do this long enough that they no longer expect me of casing the neighborhood and actually say hello if they see me when they go out to put out the trash.

I love to run in the morning. I catch the sunrise frequently, and the air is usually clear. I have been and probably always will be a morning person. It's when I'm most productive. I read my scriptures, exercise, shave, do laundry, and pay bills usually, all before even those coworkers who rise next earliest have even rolled out of bed. Sure, maybe I have to wear warm clothing in the winter or bright colors to avoid being hit by a car, and I have had a few close calls, but it sets up the day in a good way.

Some days, it's hard to get out of bed, but I know that if I don't I will wish I had. Also, before I run 1/8 mile, I usually feel really good, having shaken off the fatigue that persists as long as you lay on the mattress, and invigorated for what may come along the way.

I know dawn isn't for everyone. My dad is very productive at night, and I see a lot more people out exercising after work than I do in the morning, especially under the age of 50. By the time I get home from work, however, I've been up for 12 hours or so already and spent most of my productive energies, so I dont' have much left. Plus, it was only 76F this morning, but by 5PM it will be over 100F. I'd rather exercise when it's relatively decent outside, but that's apparently just me.

No comments: