05 September 2010

Trust Issues

Share
A friend of mine just postulated why everyone has trust issues. At first, I was tempted to deny this. Then I realized that there are people who have lost my trust in whom I cannot trust again. I have tried very hard not to project mistakes made by others onto people who have never harmed me, but we almost expect people to let us down. Just this morning, a friend, albeit happy about the birth of a grandson, described him as "one more human to break my heart". She expects he will disappoint her. Well, then he probably will.

I have great hope that someday, someone in whom I trust will hold true to their word. I have noticed that sometimes it comes down to what they mean by a word. I've been told by people that they love me who no longer speak to me.

As far as you and I are concerned, you have probably never let me down. I don't have great expectations about people even if I think I know of what they are capable. However, if you tell me you will do something, then I will hold you to it. When you don't, you have lost my trust, not I. You become the one who has the issue with trust because you cannot keep it.

It is not that I cannot trust others. I trust other people sometimes far more than they deserve, but in the end if they cannot keep it, then I will stop giving it to them. I'm not the one with the issue, and I venture to guess neither are you.

No comments: