24 October 2010

Las Vegas' MacBeth

Share
Against societal conventions, I went by myself to see the Las Vegas Shakespeare Company's version of MacBeth last night. Since it was their last show and I had erst caught wind of the event last weekend while chatting via text with an acquaintance, and hoping to have done something about which to write this weekend, I determined to go. It was an interesting and fine evening.

My first surprise came when I was greeted by someone I knew. A professor with whom I work was there with the entire family and a few neighbors, since they all live within a block of the venue. Otherwise, I saw narry a soul I recognized.

The play was actually largely well put on and executed. From effects to acting to technology, despite being distant from the stage, I was able to hear and see almost everything as if I were far closer. Most of the actors brilliantly portrayed their roles, with the only lamentable portion being the overly melodramatic and high volume voice of the woman who played Lady MacBeth. The witches were amazing, most of the other Scottish noblemen well rendered and articulate, even down to son of MacDuff whose tongue was as sharp as the dagger by which he met his untimely end.

I wonder about the choice of the play. Given the location and the type of audience they might have expected, I wonder what made the Las Vegas Shakespeare Company choose this darkest and most violent tale of the Bard. Despite the number of phrases so well known from this particular play, there are much more familiar and engaging plays with which they could have delighted us and thereby perhaps forestalled the departure of about one third of the audience before the end of Act I. Perhaps a comedy or family play or one with more action but less death might have proven better fair.

Overall, for the price of scot-free, it was a great evening. Shuttle service was superb, and light clouds kept off the chill of the evening otherwise possible this late in October. I give the play four out of five stars and look forward to next year when perhaps it might be possible that I go with a date. Time will tell.

No comments: