23 October 2010

Great Internet Fasting Experiment

Share
I have decided to go on an internet fast when I move. Many people I know think I'm crazy and out of touch. Some have tried this before, and none who have attempted it to my knowledge have succeeded. We are tied to the URL world.

I know a guy who has managed to stay away from the URL world almost completely. He has a cell phone and an email address, but he rarely ever checks either one, and you have to basically run into him in order to get him to talk to you.

We will see how long I last. I have to use a computer at work, but do we really HAVE to do things online? When you go online, you have to worry about viruses and identity thieves and spyware and spam and hackers and keyloggers, etc. Is that an expense in time and in treasure with which I can afford to dispense? I think so.

For those of you who worry about me, I think I'll be fine. I can go on long walks, play tennis more, write books, read books, and work on a garden in the back yard. I've long wanted to get involved in Boy Scouts, and there are always hikes for myself, festivals, plays, and chores with which my time may otherwise be occupied since I will be the only responsible party and beneficiary of any household chores.

Naturally, I will continue to keep this blog during the week and post updates to Facebook, etc., but if you want to get ahold of me, it will be best to call me, like we did in the 'old days' or come around for a visit. Bring a chair. I've only got one.

No comments: