29 October 2010

Wal-Mart Families

Share
Last night, I stopped off at Wal-Mart to pick up a few things I needed. I don't usually go to Wal-Mart in the evening, because it's awash with everyone else who is off work, but the sooner I file paperwork with the eye insurance provider the sooner I can get reimbursed for my exam and lenses.

As luck would have it, I was stuck in lines with gobs of other people. Most of them had carts chock full of items to sustain their families, and some people were clearly in violation of the '20 items or less' line. The woman immediately ahead of me in line was there with her four small children. They were a distraction, holding onto items clearly meant for them as if they held the Crown Jewels in their clutches. The eldest daughter kept trying to strike up a conversation with the cashier, who seemed clearly frazzled from what I can only imagine was a rough day.

When time came to pay, the woman swiped her driver's license in the machine. Of course, the payment refused to accept that, and so she had to dig through her purse while maintaining order with her kids in search of a debit card. She turned to me and apologized as she processed the transaction and then said, "It seemed like a good idea at the time to bring them with me."

I think she was as surprised by my response as I was. "It is a good idea," I told her. "If I had kids, I would take them with me too."

The woman behind me, who was there with two of her own children then said, "Aww...that's so sweet!"

Not everyone at Wal-Mart comes in their best clothes or from the best of neighborhoods. Not everyone at Wal-Mart is as concerned with the people behind them in line as they are with their own children or person. This woman was an exception to the stereotype of unwashed, unkempt and uncouth people that many assume frequent Wal-Mart. She was with her family, and that means that for them, Wal-Mart might as well have been Disneyland, because they were with their mother.

Her children may little note nor long forget that particular trip, but they will remember their mother took time with them. When I was their age, I remember I would come home from school, call out for my own mother, and then, satisfied that she was there, I would get to my school work or play. I knew my mother was there, and that made all the difference for me.

I hope that I will continue to meet people like this woman as I shop at Wal-Mart. Forget the price reductions, the one-stop shopping, and the like. You live better when you live and spend time with loved ones, and so I will do my part to make Wal-Mart family friendly when I stand with them in line.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Kids need time with their parents - I still remember the 'big' trips downtown (in my VERY small town) with my mom and loving those adventures.

Unknown said...

As one who often ends up in line with a cartful of items and a gaggle of children infested with the wiggles and poke-each-others, THANK YOU! It can be a frustrating experience to be there because you need something and have cranky people who care for nothing but their own comforts sending constant dirty looks and muttered comments in your direction. I generally ignore them, but it still has an impact!