04 October 2010

Craigslist Has Rules?

Share
On the Las Vegas Craigslist page, we routinely get back and forth from people angry that they were flagged and from the people who purportedly know the rules. Recently, Craigslist was taken to court for its ‘adult services’ advertisements, and in this town, it is a great source of headache for law enforcement since it allows people who deal in human trafficking to display their wares. If you blatantly violate them with something stupid, of course it will get flagged, but by whom? Who enforces the rules? Does Craigslist even have any?

Rules only matter when they are enforced. The problem with Craigslist is that the employees do very little of the actual enforcement. So, it is left to people like me who notice that certain dealerships post the same car every day or even multiple times per day or who notice that certain furniture items are reposted every day to flag them. Quite frankly, I have better things to do than that.

Consequently, Craigslist is patrolled by people who have nothing better to do with their time than troll the website in search of violations. I guess a certain number consider it their calling and mission in life to enforce the rules against me if they can. This is sort of like handing me a revolver and allowing me to shoot anyone I happen to see who is breaking the law. Pretty soon, I’d be in the Sheriff’s office: “Sheriff, I’m going to need more bullets…a LOT more bullets”.

My understanding of the rules differs from yours. Contrary to some of the deputies on the website, it is permissible to post pets to the free section with a rehoming fee. What seems like a crime to you may not be or may be an honest mistake. “Flag them anyway!” the deputies cry.

Some sections go without any kind of patrol at all. That’s kind of like only patrolling certain parts of Las Angeles and letting whatever happens happen in vast swaths of the city.

Rules indeed. They only have rules so that people can break them. At least, that’s what it feels like to me.

No comments: