31 October 2010

Goodbye, Henderson

Share
It suddenly struck me this morning during my run that today might be the last time I jog the six mile course I do thrice weekly. Next week, I move into a new place about 18 miles from where I am now, and I will set up a course or two around that domicile instead. I don't really know many of the people I see well, but they have come to accept, acknowledge, and even anticipate my presence. The two older men i saw this morning made jokes as usual, and the people who walk their dogs waved. Since I don't know them well, I will simply vanish.

Every three years or so, whether by my own choice or by virtue of the choices of others, I move. Sometimes, like this time, I move a matter of miles, far enough that it constitutes a real move, but not far enough that it completely divides my life by zero. Maybe it's that I'm restless. Maybe it's something else. What I do know is that I will get a whole new set of scenery, which has its benefits.

You find out who your real friends are when you move. For the past month or so, people have impressed upon me that they want to help me pack up or unload or whatever. Yesterday afternoon, the only people who helped me were my parents, who helped load at least 75% of my total early goods onto my dad's trailer, most of which is books. I know some people have work or school schedules that will conflict with when I will actually make the trips, but most people just asked when the party is. I didn't really intend to have one originally to be honest. Then, even though I'm only 18 miles away, we'll see who visits me and who still speaks to me. I have already gone far out of my way in expense, time, and energy to organize and execute activities here. It will be interesting to see who treats me as if I moved to Calcutta...

I leave Henderson much the way I was when I arrived here about three years ago. People came into my life and largely left as quickly as they came. People who said they appreciated me now ignore me or 'unfriended' me. Many people feel sad for me, but I still have what I had when I arrived, and given the upheaval of the last few years in America, that's actually quite an accomplishment.

I had high hopes for Henderson. All I can say and will say here is that I am glad I got a different job here than as a high school science or math teacher. In flexibility there is freedom. Henderson is what it is.

During the last five years, I have spent a lot of time enjoying the scenery. From sagebrush to starscapes, ruins to roadhouses, and mines to mountains, there was a lot of good to see here. I feel sorry for those who live in Henderson who rarely venture from its borders or see no value in anything outside it. I grew up when I moved away, and then again when I moved out.

Unless and until you can establish your own independence, you cannot truly change your stars. As long as you stay where you are, the same signs will govern the nights of your existence and guide you in the same paths. As a one-time dear friend of mine said, it is better to take the road less traveled than one that has been worn down by years of constant trudging, especially if the well-traveled one leads to a destination contrary to what you intended. Goodbye, Henderson. It's been real, and it's been fun, but sometimes it wasn't real fun. Adieu.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I"m excited that you are going to be settling into your new home. Your moving timeline sounds a lot like ours except for a couple of exceptions -- we are usually end up making a move after about 3 1/2 - 4 years. Although now we've been here 6 and hope never to move again.