29 January 2010

Policy Versus Philosophy

Share
Some people wonder what I would do if I were in a political office. Some of them fear what I would do because they know how I live and what I believe and think I would hold them to my standard. Truth is that I know how hard it is to live the way I live because I have to prove that I believe what I say I believe every minute of every hour of every day. I hold no man to my standard, but if you tell me yours, then I will hold you to that.

This is an excerpt from a previous journal entry:
In an endeavore to describe my own political platform and to describe how I would affect change in our political environment, many might question how I rationalize ideas given my religious beliefs. Like some, I answer first that it is my duty to isolate my politics from my religion insomuch as they are separable in order to not impose my belief upon my countrymen. Secondly, I answer that government exists not as conscience and judge of human action but to establish an environment where every citizen can choose whom they will serve and let them govern themselves. Our forefathers immigrated to this nation to choose their destiny. Many of them concerned themselves only with financial matters, but they found freedoms in other ways unknown to them in their homelands. If a man chooses to do something that is morally wrong in my opinion but concerning which the law has made no preparation, government can only by the will of the people create a new mandate that forbids such a behavior if such mandate is constitutional. Our constitution was not written to guarantee morality. That responsibility lies with every adult, especially parents, to preserve the moral fabric of our society. Our Constitution was written to prevent oppression by the elite or the few so as to preserve the desires of the many and guarantee their right to choose. Sometimes we create penalties for behavior, but ultimately, correct behavior must be taught in the home. We cannot delegate this responsibility to schools, social programs, friends or the popular culture, especially if the ideals these institutions foster contradict our own. Claim the right to raise your children to be intelligent enough and strong enough to stand their ground. As a politician, that is not my job nor my right, aside from to enable you as parents to train your children well. If you think government was designed in this country to make people good, you are wrong. That is a theocracy, not a republic.

In this blog, you can read what I personally think. I have deeply rooted personal beliefs and convictions that govern my attitudes, values and norms. However, my political philosophy is that people should govern themselves. If you promise you will do something, I expect you to do it, but I will never demand that you do what I do in order to gain or keep my favor.

Despite the claims of others, I am the perfect religious candidate. Unlike other Mormons who have run for office, I believe what I say I believe, and it shows in my actions. Also contrary to them, I have no desire, intention, or letter of marque to compel the citizenry to live according to my personal creed. I claim the privilege to live as I think best serves my safety and happiness, and I allow all men the same privilege. You have less to fear from me than from anyone else in the 2010 campaigns because I am the only one who seeks office to serve liberty and glorify God. Like Daniel Webster says, the others who seek office "mean to rule well, but they mean to rule".

2 comments:

Mom said...

You may not express a desire to hold people to live to your standards, but you (like most of us) are quick to judge others against that standard or your expectations. Be careful--the scriptures say that with what judgment ye judge, ye will be judged. None of us here are perfect. We are striving but fall short each day. Those who expect or demand perfection will push away those who know they cannot meet that expectation. If you give others the benefit of a doubt, they will be more likely to do the same for you.

Doug Funny said...

If people cannot comment on things where they have room for improvement, why does anyone say anything about anything?

I know that people can do and be great things. I know that because I know they are children of God. Just because I have great expectations does not mean that I am not compassionate. I am much better at putting myself in other people's shoes than you seem to realize.

Thanks for the rip. I'm having a great day thanks to you!