26 January 2010

Body "Art"

Share
I know plenty of people with tatoos. I know why they have them. Some of the reasons make sense if I put myself in their shoes; some of the reasons make me shake my head. Would I ever get one? No way.

Today, Actress Helen Miren admitted that her
tatoo was her only regret in life. Of all the things to regret, that's a very interesting choice.

Personally, I oppose any alteration to your body that is "permanent". I know that with surgery, almost anything can be changed, from looks to damage to even gender for crying out loud. However, without artists, this kind of change doesn't naturally occur. You cannot do this without the help of someone else.

If you have one, fine. I know many many fine people who do. Some people criticize the beard. In 10 minutes, I could be clean shaven. Nothing I do is permanent. Behind this beard is a face, but it is not me and more than I am the muscles and bones beneath that. The beard is not the man. I will be me no matter how I appear, and so will you. I have learned through the grace of God and the experiences he gave me to get to know the man behind the mask, and I promise I will do the same for you.

No comments: