07 January 2010

Early to Bed, Early to Rise

Share
Early to bed, early to rise, and your girl goes out with other guys. I told this to a friend's wife right around the new year. I just really don't understand the fascination with staying out until the wee hours of the morning when they know that in a few weeks school starts back up and they will have to meet deadlines and show up to class.

If they stay out until 2AM, then when they go to sleep I am half way through REM. When they are half way through REM at 5AM, I am half way through the New Testament.

I know this makes me strange. I put first things first.

You show what matters to you by the things you choose. When I went on my mission, we were asked to "retire to our bed early and arise early that our bodies and our minds might be invigorated". Since my return from the mission field, I have continued to keep that schedule as well as the personal study opportunities that come with the fact that I am up at a quiet hour that allows me to finish first the things that matter most to me.

If you do today what others won't, tomorrow you'll be able to do what others can't. This is a major reason why, at 30, I have so much life experience and know so many things about so many topics. Instead of visiting the same haunts and hanging out, I go new places, read new books, and meet new people. Live life.

No comments: