18 October 2008

Working For Rich People

Share
The other day while shopping at Wal-Mart, a beggar accosted me with bellicose acrimony for some spare change to assuage his hunger. Seeing as I rarely carry cash in any denomination, of course I carried nothing that availed him or warranted his intrusion in my business. As I walked away, I heard him curse under his breath about how much I resembled the orifice through which we pass excrement.

No poor or homeless man has ever offered me anything I need or want. I have given more money away to people than I can account, and sometimes they offer me some trinket, but more often than not there is nothing they can or will do for me about which I care one whit. Yet, Barack Obama wants us to believe in trickle up economics, that if we redistribute money to the have-nots in society that will benefit the whole. Balderdash and hooey, I say.

Consider the ramifications on the well-being of society as a whole if we let rich people keep the money they rightly earn by the sweat of their brow. If I earn $10 million this year and employ 100 people at $60,000 each total compensation, those 100 families have incomes to further spend and generate employment for other people, and with the leftover funds I spend either expanding my business by buying equipment, supplies, raw materials and the like or by expanding my personal livelihood by buying a new car, a TV, or putting in a pool, I likewise create jobs. What happens if you give a homeless man $60,000? He won't spend it on things society needs, that's for darn sure.

Class warfare rhetoric only serves to make us angry at other people who have more than we do. Not that we deserve it, but we envy that which we have not received, one of the greatest sins forbade us by our creator. Thou shalt not covet. Yet, these politicians survive and hold power under the auspices of a covetous chicanery, pitting us against each other. If we all become equally poor, who will build the cars, the TVs, the iPODs, the laptops, and all the other things we love? Nobody will invent them or produce them because it won't be worth their while.

If I want to voluntarily give money to a "needy" person, that right lies with me. If you force me by fiat to do so, that constitutes tyranny, which I resist with every fiber of my being.

No comments: