17 October 2008

Everyone Gets What They Want

Share
I wrote before about people who tell me they want something and then demonstrate by their choices that they want something else. I contend that everyone gets exactly what they want, considering that what they wish for and what they want are not necessarily one in the same.

Everyone has a wish list- things they'd do if and only if their life was different. We send them to Santa, we post them as part of our New Year resolutions, and we project them onto people around us, claiming that those are the things we really want. Yet, invariably, we fail to do certain things and they go forever unreached and unaccomplished.

While talking by telephone with a good friend about a week ago, I explained how I missed her call at 6:30AM because I was out jogging even though it was 48F outside. She seemed astounded and asked me if I still did that. I reminded her that I arise every day at 5:00AM to take care of the two things that are most important to me in my life- tending to my physical health and strengthening my spiritual solidarity. People make time for things that are important to them, and while they marvel at my dedication, they ignore the fact that they are similarly dedicated, albeit to things of dubious value.

By the end of August, I had accomplished every goal I set for the year. I wanted to learn to play the guitar, and I played it for at least 30 minutes every day until I broke some strings and discovered that I needed to pay for repairs in order to restring it (manufacturer's error). I wanted to save $1000/month. I wanted to reach 190lbs. I wanted to take a religion course on Wednesday nights. I wanted to finish my second book. I wanted to learn Spanish. Only the latest remains as yet undone. I got everything I really wanted this year, including a promotion at work, an adjunct teaching position, etc. These things were things to which I set myself, and that's why I accomplished them.

As soon as you decide you really want to do something, you will start actively making decisions that help you arrive there. Most people give up when it gets hard, and they show thereby that what they "want" constitutes more a wish, "if and only if" their life were different. What you wish may be noble, but what you do defines you, not high ideals. Everyone gets exactly what they want, because people make decisions that lead them to arrive where they are.

An old friend bewailed her life months ago and told me that she hated her life and wanted to die. I told her that was poppycock, that she couldn't possibly hate her life because it constituted an amalgamation of active decisions she made to get her where she was. If she didn't like it, she needed to decide to make it different and stick to it. Like most people I help, that desire constituted more talk that true motivation, as she continues to decide things that ultimately exclude the happiness for which she wishes.

You will get everything you really want. Don't whine to me about unfulfilled wishes. It lies within the realm of possibility for anyone to do and be whatever they want, no matter how hopeless, no matter how far. The really ironic thing is that, aside from being alone, I have the life I say I want, the one for which I wish, and that I am one of the most truly happy people I know. Not that I look happy go lucky, because I don't have a lot of things for which people wish, but I like what I have and what I am.

When God finishes judging men and everyone finds himself confined to his fate, every one of us will indeed say, "Thy judgments are just". Murderers will be happy being with other murderers, men of superfluous commitment to Christ when it was convenient will be content outside the presence of God, and those select of God's children who receive exaltation will be completely happy with where they end up. Everyone will finally recognize they got everything they want. Like I said before, you tell on yourself by the choices you make, and the choices you make show me, and verily our Creator, exactly what you truly want, and what really matters to you in the end. Your wish is his command.

No comments: