21 October 2015

When Professors Rage Quit

Share
Last night I met for the first time to take over a Microbiology class abandoned after midterms by a professor who took another gig elsewhere. I knew it would be rough, but I had no idea how rough it would actually be. I guess what I really don't understand is why some people feel like the grass is greener on the other side, and how some people can just leave others in the lurch at the drop of a hat. Hopefully my willingness to step in and give aide, assuming I do a good job taking his place, will endear me to the powers that be and reaffirm my value to the institution and its mission. I don't lick boots, give bribes or brown nose, but I work hard and see things through.

The students were upset about their exam results. Last time they met, they took an exam, and apparently the median was 67%. For some reason, although Friday was the last drop date, every single one of them stuck it out. This morning, the coordinator contacted me about the situation since it applies apparently to every one of this guy's classes, and I have their support making accommodations under the circumstances. I finally sat down and read his online reviews, and I see students accuse him of testing things they don't discuss, which is one reason I write all of my own tests and do them custom every term in case I forget to discuss something. Most of the students, fresh off a frustrating exam, were unable to focus, and I think more than a few of those who left early did so because they realized they were too upset to pay attention.

The students were upset to have a change but happy to have someone complete the term after they committed time and money. I paid less to attend graduate school than they are paying for their undergraduate degree. I don't think any of them knew, and I don't think the administration knew that this guy was leaving until he gave two weeks' notice. So, everyone is blindsided. I waited over the weekend when word went out soliciting help because I know that microbiology is difficult to teach even moreso when you start in the middle of term with someone new. After that, I told the chair "If you haven't found anyone else..." and they hadn't found anyone for any of his classes! It happens; we lost a chemistry professor two years ago to a series of strokes that killed him. However, these students started the term in agreement with a particular syllabus, style, and series of expectations. I'll try to change at little as possible. I don't think he told his class they would have anyone new until after I was secured. They were upset and understandably so.

The students were upset that their professor essentially abandoned them. According to them, the previous professor cancelled two lab meetings and two lectures (which they suspect and I feel inclined to agree he used to job hunt or get things in order to leave) meaning they are missing points and information. Then he still held them accountable for things he essentially didn't discuss or cover or address on an exam. I don't think he communicated well to anyone, but I think they got the shortest stick in the draw, and it was evident from the questions that they were lost, confused, and scared about how this might affect them professionally. I did what I could to assuage, address, and resolve concerns, but some may drop anyway. I understand that; I'd be upset too.

A geology professor and I agree that this was handled in almost the worst way possible. If I secured new employment, I would tell my new employer that I had a contractual obligation and couldn't leave right now. I like to think he would respect that because it shows a level of commitment. This guy seems committed only to himself, which I find very odd because his online reviews say he's better than I am and that he's attractive (he makes me look like a supermodel in my honest opinion). The presiding authorities guard their words carefully, but I sense a sentiment of resentment towards my predecessor and appreciation towards me as I move forward. The only reason I can envision to quit early is my own health. I even made it to every class and on time this spring despite losing all of my grandparents. I hope things work out for him. I also hope this helps me.

No comments: