15 April 2010

Test Taking Tips

Share
Since I've been helping students with this a lot, I thought it might be useful to illustrate at least one powerful thing that people use when they test you. Morale being such a fragile thing, it's so easy to dispirit other people and sap them. Whether it's a life test or an actual school type test, oftentimes, the first things you encounter will be designed to elicit a particular disparagement. They want you to overreact and lose confidence. It works very well.

During my first enzymology exam, I learned this lesson completely by chance. Everyone knew that Dr. Lincoln (not his name) gave tough exams, and this particular class broke the backs of many would-be doctors. It was a tough test. Basically, as we would learn when he handed our exams back, the tests were designed so we could tell him everything we knew about what he discussed. He might as well have just written "Tell me everything you remember" on the test and been done with it, but that might have cost him accredidation.

I looked down at the first page of the exam and almost wet myself. I was a phenomenal student and studied almost constantly. After lecture, I would where possible recopy my notes into another notebook within 24 hours. I rarely missed a class. I also rarely read the books, but I reviewed my notes regularly and as such spared myself the cramming-related anxiety such as is common to men. Until that time, I considered myself well prepared.

Not to be outdone, I turned the page. Lo and behold, I could actually answer question #3 and began scribbling furiously. At this point, my classmates looked up, mostly strewn throughout a large lecture hall whose capacity far exceeded the maximum number of students who took the course. They saw me on page 2 furiously working and probably lost hope.

When Dr. Lincoln called time, I still had not finished the test, but I answered seven of the ten questions. A few weeks later, he handed them back to us, and I found that I had scored 54%. The guy who sat next to me had scored 12%, having never gotten off the first page.

There is a finite amount of time and material in the world and at your disposal. To do the best you can with what you have, use it where it yields you the best return for your investment. My compatriot changed majors from Biochemistry to Biology to escape the rest of the Biochemistry lecture series. If he had looked beyond the first page, the questions were of varied complexity. I didn't even attempt three questions, but I received 78% of the points for questions I actually completed. This trend continued, and I ended up with what was at the time the highest ever historical score for the course. I worked hard for it.

Do not be afraid with what you first face. Consider Sparta v. Persia, David v. Goliath, Washington v. the British Empire, and consider how you might conquer your own goliaths. Your enemies will put before you something that will disparage your courage and faith, that will seem to be beyond your capability. Small and simple things often confound the wise and strong.

Begin with what you know. Begin with what you can. A friend of mine noticed on her exams this semester that the instructor often included the answers to early questions in questions found later on. You will find that often times you cannot do it all. When you can't do it all, do what you can, and if you use what you have wisely, you may find yourself capable not only of something unexpected but also of something as yet unrealized.

Cast not away therefore your confidence, which hath great recompence of reward. For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.

There is a reward to be had for those who know how to fight and win. Do something amazing and you will not only pass your tests but you will also excel in them. I promise.

No comments: