29 April 2010

MERIT Badges and the BSA

Share
I finished my eagle scout project for my 15th birthday. As such, I'm not the youngest scout or the most accomplished one. Unlike my father, I never went to Philmont or any Jamboree, and I have not yet served as a youth leader since my metriculation from Explorers in 1997. However, I was inspired last week to review my Boy Scout Handbook as a refresher of skills I once had so that I can be a boon to those around me.

Scouting taught me confidence and survival. It was the only real brotherhood to which I belonged as a teenager. I got to do a lot of amazing things and learned how to use the earth and its bounty for my benefit. We learned sometimes from our mistakes, and the world forgave us for those foibles of youth. As I grew older, I wished I had availed myself of the chance to learn certain things as a scout and even considered suggesting merit badges to the organization for the skills I have as a means to inspire others to follow me into science. Where possible, I took advantage of the opportunity to learn some of those skills I missed and recently to review old ones.

Imagine my surprise to hear that the Boy Scouts of America have introduced a merit badge for
computer gaming. Lord Baden Powell and all the boys whose lives have been saved and by whom others lives have been saved would and should be appalled. Video games produce skills in a very limited number of fields. The opportunity cost for playing them is very low. Like basketball, very few gamers become programmers, boxers, spies, stormtroopers or tomb raiders. It's a fantasy world.

There is a mistaken belief that success in a fantasy world prepares you for success in the real world. The only way to succeed in this world is to learn in this world. That's what scouting used to offer: hunting, orienteering, camping, forestry, farming, ranching, horsemanship, leatherwork, small engine repair, electronics, lifesaving, first aid, urban planning, architecture, ad infinitum. These things prepared people for basic survival, sometimes for vocations, and taught us to think and prepare and work. We were rewarded for our successes and overseen to prevent failure as we learned. It taught us to love God, to love our country, to love our families, to love ourselves, and to love all that is brave and good and true in this world.

Video games? That just plays into the problems we have in the rising generation, generation Why. They have more means of communication than ever before but they communicate less. They have more technology to help them do work but they accomplish less. They have more access to information than ever before but they know less. The fill countless wasted hours with complete strangers instead of going out and actually interacting with people, and in the process they never grow up. So now we have internet dating, social networking sites, blogs, ad infinitum. We don't meet people anymore or talk to old friends or even know how to use a phone. So many of them are socially awkward, immature, and rough around the edges. They have Toys R Us syndrome and don't want to grow up. They have Your Way Right Away syndrome and don't know how to compromise or settle. They can buy whatever they want whenever they want over the internet. Then they wonder why they have no money and why companies cut jobs. It takes fewer people to satisfy internet orders than to have a store and it's easy to spend money when it's always in electronic format.

Where is the MERIT in a video game merit badge? What does video gaming teach our youth? They will make the same arguments that people have made for cable, but kids don't play educational games. They play Call of Duty and Grand Theft Auto and Halo like everyone else so they can fit in, and those games teach them almost zero of practical use and nothing that will elevate them or help them elevate society. It is inherently valueless and broadly pandering to offer this as a "merit" badge; even if it is used to get boys in the door, let us offer them scouting on its own merits and not stoop to deception with things of no relevancy.

Scouting used to get boys outdoors. Now, they have joined the bandwagon that makes them codependent with the sessile teenagers who fill the program. I feel a bit betrayed, and I am --this-- close to buying a truck so that my church will call me into the Scouting program as a youth leader. I already lead hikes and camping trips and the like at every opportunity. There is so much more out there. No amount of pixels can capture the beauty of a mountain vista or of a rainbow after a thunderstorm, and nothing compares with seeing an actual arch or waterfall or wild goat. Those are things to be remembered cherished and taught. Those things have merit.

When I went to get a job in college, my employer did notice that I was a three-palmed Eagle Scout. I take pride in the work I did to help others behind me as Troop Guide to advance in rank. Scouting played a large part in the man I am today. in 1990, I first took the Scout Oath. Since then I have also done my best to live the Scout Law. For your benefit I will repost them here:

On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

A scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.

If more of our young people grew up with these values, America and her values would be safe for the next generation no matter what the administration and the congress do. Video games will not help us take back the country. Real Scouting will.

Scouting for boys. Thank God for Lord Baden Powell.

3 comments:

Jan said...

Amen to everything you said. You made me think I may not be over the hill after all -- we agree on all points on this one. I don't have any special issues against video games in moderation, but a BSA merit badge? Really???!!

Well said.

Play Truck Games said...

hello
Amen i think that you are right.

Kurt Wolf said...

What a great post! Just goes to show that America is in some serious trouble. How many kids know how to start a fire, properly handle a knife, know what kind of knot to use in a particular situation, etc. I say, get involved with your local troop and make it better the youth realize there is more to life than the latest PlayStation game.