25 April 2010

Mercy Cannot Rob Justice

Share
At the end of my first semester here, a young lady came into my office like two weeks before finals. Like most students in the program, she worried about her grade because the nursing program issues points for scores and she needed all the points she could get. By that point, there was nothing more I could do to fix it. Most of the points were assigned, and when we did the math, she would have had to score a 98% on the final to get the grade she wanted, which was impossible given her track record.

Fortunately for her, they let you retake a course for three total attempts and overwrite the previous grades. So, I told Maggie (not her name) to make use of this learning opportunity and avail herself of the myriad of offerings we have to help students excel. We spent the rest of her visit discussing what to do differently next time to build upon her previous strengths and help her be more successful.

I have several students like Maggie every semester. Some of them wait like Maggie until it's too late for me to fix it. Others come to me as soon as there is a problem in search of a solution. Sometimes they ask for pointers or alternative assignments or a chance to prove their knowledge. If they come seeking to earn a grade, then I offer them a lifeline. I never advertise this to them. I am here to help them learn, so if they are willing to go and do, then I figure they will learn. Besides, there are life lessons to learn from this that I teach as well, albeit off the syllabus. ;)

Then there are students who ask me, "why do we need this?" Intermediate steps along the way are also part of the price we pay. If you choose to become a nurse, this is part of the prerequisite coursework required. Ask yourself how comfortable you would be with a nurse who scored a "D" in basic Biology? We entrust these people with our lives, and so we make sure that they know what you assume they know.

In the end however, students fail. Mercy cannot rob justice. By the end of the semester, grades have been entered, and they can tell if I throw a student a bone. Besides, it does a disservice to the students who understood it at first who proved it by their scores.

People expect me to be merciful. People expect justice to be done to me when I do wrong. These same people would not show me mercy. Remember that there must be a balance, and that if you mess with me, the scales will eventually balance out. I have seen it happen, and I am richly blessed in spite of the spiteful things people have done to me.

In the end, what we become results from the choices we make. God is perfect because he choses to be perfect all the time. The difference between God and me is that at least some of the time I choose to be less than perfect. I expect justice to be done for my shortcomings, and I pray for mercy as I extend it to you for yours.

No comments: