30 September 2009

Sabbatical Year

Share
A few months ago, I spoke to another professor at work who I knew to be a practicing Jew, about some things I read in the book of Leviticus. He explained that, although they are not sure exactly, this year was the Sabbatical Year, or the year in which the Jews have been commanded to let things rest. For some reason, these passages had stuck out in my mind this summer as I read the Old Testament anew, for the first time in many years.

I have loaned and gifted much money in the course of my life. A few weeks ago, a man I know to whose wife I once gave money to help them meet their financial obligations pulled me aside to thank me and warn me against continuing the practice. I explained to him that "because I have been given much, I too must give". I have saved and lived as I have for the support and benefit of my own family, but in the absence thereof, I chose to reach out and bless others.

Today, in accordance with the Law of the Sabbath, which I choose to live, I hereby forgive all debts as yet outstanding and owed to me. Regardless of the amount, keep the money. Pay it forward if you like, but I hold you accountable for nothing more. I know that in the Year of Jubilee that begins tomorrow, the Lord will, as with Job, bless me with more than I had at the beginning.

Granted, I may not be correct in the timing. I am not a Jew. Jesus, however, was, and I will follow him as best I know, and he would have us forgive those indebted to us if we wish forgiveness of his father. Let the Lord judge between me and thee.

No comments: