27 February 2009

Triteness of Phrase

Share
I used to really like the color green. I am a plant scientist. I love growing things, unless of course the thing growing is government. No matter how much I love the planet, I am not tied to it, and if I hear the phrase "green jobs" one more time without a candid discussion of "net change in jobs" I'm going to wring someone's neck.

My friend Thom Truelove and I have discussed back and forth a list of phrases we'd like to see banned and some ways of speaking that really bother us. As putative political candidates ourselves, we believe in being honest and true, not in masking things in language of the marxist demagogue. I present the lists for your amusement and enlightenment.

Phrases that are far too often used and are almost always empty.
1. the fact of the matter is
2. a perfect storm
3. are you kidding me
4. that's what I'm talking about
5. I have to say...
6. a slippery slope
7. we're forced to
8. green jobs
9. comprehensive
10. now is the time

Honorable mention:
• grow the economy
• war on...
• this story has everything...

Warning flags:
A. Nearly all sentences that begin with any of the following words:
Well, Listen, Look, See,...
B. Anyway
C. Literally
D. Fine
E. Incentivize
F. Actually
I don't stutter. I don't use these tricks. I may not be charismatic, but I won't change to please the jury.

No comments: