17 February 2009

Family Political Policy

Share
During my morning jog, I noticed an inordinate amount of signage in the neighborhood regarding a particular candidate who happens to be related to a large number of people in the city. My mom and I talked about this phenomenon and I decided that it might be a good idea to decide on a political policy for the family before anyone ran for office.

Just because you're related, you might feel obligated to put up a sign, even if you don't agree with me. Don't worry about that. I think you should follow the admonition of Mr. Applegate in Damn Yankees:
Never put signs up for anybody

Political choice is a personal matter. That few people, if any, agree with me on matters of import does not dissuade me from my determined stance. During the 2004 election, I hated the bumper sticker my wife made me put on the car, but I dutifully drove around with it to keep the peace. Since then, I have not put anything political on my lawn, my car, etc., except on this blog which is where it belongs.

During the primaries, people slashed tires at rallies. I do not need to invite violently vicious violations of volition on my family or property. Inappropriate though it may be, how do you combat that except by an appeal to the mind? Trouble is that these people cannot be persuaded by argument; they are demagogues.

So, vote for me or don't. Agree with me or don't. I don't take it personally. I claim the privilege of exercising my franchise according to the dictates of my own conscience and allow all men the same. Afterwards we will see who is happy and who is dead.

No comments: