11 February 2009

Proper Education

Share
This semester I am fortunate to be teaching three laboratory sections for the university. In truth, many of the sections I teach are mine by virtue of the fact that many other people prefer not to teach at 19:30. I'm also working on a book, inspired by a trip I took last November, called Educating the Free, and I'm taking the opportunity this semester to put my theory into practice.

My theory, plain and simply stated, consists of the following:
Teachers set the example and students get inspired.

Granted, not all of the students get inspired. Many of my students are not biology majors, and so they echo the cliches about "what is this good for- absolutely nothing". Already thus far however, I have changed the lives of a few.

Last Thursday night, I started the introductory lab on statistics and data by sharing photographic enlargements chronicling my activities over the past few years. After class, one of the students confided in me that prior to class he feared it would be a boring class with a lame professor and admitted that I was actually pretty cool. I told them that we would share some fun times, some personal memories, and learn together, and in his case I've been able to align his mind to an open orientation.

In class last night, one of my students pointed out that because I care about what I teach, they can feel the passion and interest. She told me that they can't help but pay attention because my experiences, stories, and insights made the subject real. I even managed to use the visual demonstration of a guitar solo to discuss sound waves and measurable phenomena.

When I started teaching at this institution, I knew it provided an opportunity for me to change lives and revolutionize learning for these students. Most of my students are retooling their lives for a career change, and as such they are motivated by different things than my college classmates. I am trying to inspire them and guide them so that they know how to think, so that when scientists make sweeping claims they know how to evaluate the data and can take things with a grain of salt.

Someone once asked me what gift I would ask of God. Truthfully, I side with Solomon- I would like better discernment. It is that gift with which I wish to imbue my students this semester and always. May they always know how to find light and truth, no matter how well the dark may obfuscate it.

No comments: