13 February 2009

A Choice

Share
Someone recently asked me if I was crazy when I told her about my moral code of ethics. I wanted you to know what teachings inspired me to live the way I've chosen to live.

At some point, I came into possession of the World War II edition of "Gospel Principles" issued to my grandfather in the Pacific Theater. One day after work when I had nothing better to do, I flipped it open randomly and found these words:
How glorious is he who lives the chaste life. He walks unfearful in the full glare of the noonday sun, for he is without moral infirmity. He can be reached by no shafts of base calumny, for his armor is without flaw. His virtue cannot be challenged by any just accuser, for he lives above reproach. His cheek is never blotched with shame, for he is without hidden sin. He is honored and respected by all mankind, for he is beyond their censure. He is loved by the lord, for he stands without blemish. The exaltations of eternities await his coming. Heber J Grant, J Reuben Clark and David O McKay October 1942
I felt like they were talking to me. Although already a man of high moral character, I resolved as never before to keep to that way of life, which I have done. I do not fear All my accusers do so unjustly. All my friends respect me even if they disagree. I value virtue more than any advantage the alternative affords.

Thought you ought to know.

No comments: