28 February 2016

First Roommates

Share
I've lived alone in this house for over five years now, but change comes soon. Tomorrow night, my parents, who are between houses, are moving in until they can find a new place to live. I'm not honestly sure how I feel about this. I'm excited to have my dad's help getting to things I'm not honestly sure how to tackle and with which he already has experience. I'm excited that I had a reason to clean up because I don't honestly have many guests. I'm excited that I can return something to my parents. I'm worried because I know this isn't the way they are used to living and doesn't offer the accommodations to which they are accustomed.

Far too many young people take from their parents, grouse about them, and then grudgingly give a token back if they give anything back at all. I know people in their 30s who still live at home, and I have students who are still receiving money from their parents to subsidize their existence. I know my parents worry because we are not doing as well as they did, that my generation will not do better than the previous ones. I remind my dad that he did far better than he ever expected and that we are doing things we love rather than things for money. My parents took me back in when I got divorced and had nowhere to live, and so I'm glad I am around to help them move and put a roof over their heads. I'm sure they'll be happy to move out when the time comes.

What I've missed these past two and a half year is a reason to do anything. I only did things when I felt in my own heart that the time had finally come. Now, there is a bigger purpose- I actually care about someone. Ok, so it's not romantic; it's my parents. However, I want them to be comfortable, and I want my things sin order with them here, so I finally buckled down and started tackling the list of things that weren't just things I always wanted to do. They've been good not to fill my house, garage, and yard with their quesquilia, but if they needed space, I have it to offer. When they needed help, I offered it. I guess it's good that I live here and that, even though I worked 60 hour weeks, I squeezed in time to help them do things they couldn't do as well without me.

I found a way to help someone else without thinking only of how I might profit. Although I could probably charge rent or ask them to finance some of the projects, all I really ask are that they cover the additional costs of their visit and help me take care of four projects for me. I know my parents will offer to fray the costs as a gesture, but I'm finally able to help someone with this house again. Their dogs are already out back and seem adjusted to my company and surroundings, and it's nice to not be alone.

One thing is sure that things will be different. It won't be permanent, but it won't necessarily be a bad thing. Who knows what will happen? It will change things- the flow of the house, my routines, the types of food in the fridge, how often the dishes and laundry run, etc. My neighbors are used to my cars in the driveway and a mostly empty house. Won't thieves be surprised to discover someone's here during the day (yes, I had someone steal things from my porch)! I have lived alone for a long time now. This might help me decide if I ever really want to invite someone special to be with me or if I prefer independence and freedom to company and connection.

No comments: